Sifton-Cook Heritage Centre (Cobourg Museum Foundation)
The Cobourg Museum Foundation has restored the town's oldest limestone building together with a 19th century workman's cottage and converted them into the Sifton-Cook Heritage Centre, named after two of the Foundation's early members.
This coming season (starting Victoria Day weekend) the Centre is telling the story of "The Part Sports Played" in the story of our community. The story is told using graphics, text, video and artifacts. The involvement of young people is encouraged.
A 250 ft. 1/20 scale operating model railway (the Cobourg and Peterborough Railway, 1850s-1880s) running the length of our property, includes a layout of Cobourg's Harbour with an operating turntable and roundhouse. Trains run over the ill-fated Rice Lake Bridge carrying loads of lumber from the backwoods.
In 2017, the 150th. anniversary of our country, the theme will switch to our community's part in the development of local, provincial and national governance.
Archived material from the following displays is accessible on our website:
2012 - Cobourg at the time of its Incorporation 175 years ago (1837).
2013 - Our Transportation Story - the 160th Anniversary of the turning of the sod for our railway
2014 - Our Military Story
2015 - Industry & Commerce (to come)
Born in Cobourg, Ontario, Laughlin Burwash spent most of his life in Northern Canada, but often returned to his roots. He contributed immeasurably to...
Cobourg's James Cockburn had an extensive political history in our town before ever entering provincial politics. His 1861 campaign in West...